Liverpool transfer ‘target’ reacts to ‘rumors’ following $68 million Chelsea bid and summer commitment
Liverpool and Chelsea are among the clubs connected with a move for Brighton midfielder Moisés Caicedo, who has been the subject of an offer.
Liverpool is unlikely to add another player before the January transfer deadline next Tuesday (11pm UK time), but ties to a variety of players who could improve Jürgen Klopp’s squad continue to emerge.
However, the Ecuadorian is still being connected with a transfer to Anfield, with Liverpool.com contributor David Lynch stating earlier this month via Liverpool’s Official Supporters Club in Norway that the Reds like him, but expect him to move to Stamford Bridge.
That is mainly because of the sums of money involved. Quite simply, the Reds can find much better value elsewhere on the market, as is often the case when trying to sign a player from Brighton.
“I have been focused on doing things very well and to be up there fighting for a good position,” Caicedo has now said, speaking to Brighton’s official website.
“I am focused on Brighton,” the midfielder, under contract until 2025, added. “I am here, I’m playing every day. Things from outside don’t trouble me, nor does it take that focus away because I’m focused only on here.”
Caicedo did admit, though, that he is aware of the speculation. “I handle it well,” he said. “You hear rumors here and there, but I only try to be focused on the club.”
Brighton manager Roberto de Zerbi has always stated that he wants to keep Caicedo until the summer, but a move away then appears likely, despite the Seagulls’ desire to finish in Europe’s top four.
“Caicedo is very important for us. I hope he finishes the season with us,” the Italian said recently (via the BBC). “It’s always difficult to be certain, but when big teams want our players it’s good news for us.
“The best solution is that he finishes the season with us. If he continues to play like this in the last games, it’s possible that in the summer he can leave for another team.”